4825 Excelsior Blvd St. Louis Park, MN 55416 952-922-2222

About German Auto Works

German Auto Works is a St. Louis Park, Minnesota business with a more than 45 year history in sales and service of European automobiles. Prior to that, the building started out as the stable for Engell Dairy. By 1926 it was the St. Louis Park Service Garage. It operated as a car repair garage and gas station. By 1948 it was Lambin Motors, and in the 1960’s it was Park Auto Upholstery. It became German Auto Works, founded by Don Lindall, in 1971.

We’re sports and luxury car enthusiasts and we recognize that the Twin Cities has a number of fellow automobile enthusiasts that must shop outside of the Twin Cities area when looking for a truly special or unique automobile. We are here to help you find the right vehicle at the right price. Our personal service is what sets us apart from our competitors.

German Auto Works… dedicated to enthusiast motoring!

4825 EXCELSIOR BLVD. HISTORY

This building started out as the Engell Dairy’s stable; city records say it was built in 1926.  In 1930 it belonged to Henry “Hank” A. Schroeder of the Schroeder Dairy Co., in Deephaven, who had the water connected to the main line that year.  Schroeder was still the owner as of 1951.

From at least 1933 to 1946 the building was known as the St. Louis Park Service Garage. It was also a Mobil gas station (the tank was taken out in 1966). Some names associated with the property and some (non all-inclusive) dates are as follows:

 

1938

 
1933-37: Kenneth (Kenny) Johnson

1937-42: John P. Mason (also known as Mason’s Garage)

1942: Chuck Kinser, Axel Larson

1945: Fred Haberberg

1947: R.H. Mohrbacher requested a permit to sell cars but was denied.

1948-54: (E.J.) Lambin Motors – new body shop, new management September in 1951

1950: Hank Schroeder operated Edina Motors

July 1950:  A Buy-Rite Market is listed at 4827 Excelsior.  Could that be this building?

1951: A fire caused $7,000 in damages. George Sedwick was the manager.  Schroeder was listed as the owner, but he may have sold shortly afterwards.  E.J. Lambin wrote a letter to the Village Council commending the fire department.  The front office was rented to Anico Water Softeners.

1951


One of the more interesting tenants was Nonie’s Chow Mein, which made its debut in May 1952 and operated until about 1954.  An ad in the 1953 Echowan said “Daily fresh from our own Kitchen.”

1958-62: Gopher Glass


1958-70: Park Auto Upholstery (moved to 6731 Oxford in 1972)4825 Excelsior Blvd. Park Auto Upholstery 1960 resize


1970: Colonial Auto Body opened in November.

1971: German Auto Works, Donald W. Lindall

 

 

Text Us!